The weather is finally beginning to change in Los Angeles and I have been so looking forward to it! Since I live up in the hills, when spring comes around, I get to wake up in the morning and see flowers blooming all around me up and down the hill. Intoxicating. As the seasons turn, I’m reminded that there is no getting around change. It’s the universal law. Seasons change, leaves change, people change and our lifestyles change. Hooray for that!
I remember when I was very young, my family and I moved from a small city to Baghdad, Iraq, and from there we moved to Sydney, Australia, then I moved to Europe for a while and finally settled in Los Angeles. Despite the emotions and uncertainty involved, moving to different places has been a blessing and led me to live out my passions and dreams!
Every form of growth and success depends upon change, but even just hearing that word throws most people into a frenzy and heightens their anxiety level. Everything in the universe changes: Seasons, leaves, flowers, people, style and our taste. These changes seem to make life more beautiful; so, why do we fear it so much?
Perhaps it depends on whether the change is voluntary or involuntary. Voluntary change is when we take a look at our life and decide on our own that it needs to change, such as expanding our business or finding a more loving relationship. Involuntary change is when we are put in a situation that gives us a rude awakening and forces us to make changes in our life. The difference is whether or not we have control over the change… which sounds more appealing? If you’re like me and wish to remain in control of the changes occurring in your life, here are a few tips you may find helpful:
1. Stop making excuses: The new life will not begin until you make a commitment to the change that you would like to realize in your life.
2. Don’t overreact: Take a deep breath and reflect on the big picture and what will you gain from this change. It may not be easy, but it will definitely be worth it!
3. Get excited about the journey! It is important to remember that change does not happen overnight. Treat it as an adventure and enjoy the small stepping stones to getting where you want.
4. Surround yourself with like-minded people. By doing so, you begin to adopt their way of thinking and will find it easier to make the necessary change.
5. Adopt the “already have it” attitude! As they say, “when in Rome, do as the Romans do”.
I know change is never easy, but I’ve come to celebrate it, as every change has caused me to expand my mind to new adventure and growth. After all, change is about letting go of the old so that the new can be born into your life and, oftentimes, these changes make life even better! So, what changes have occurred (voluntary or involuntary) that have caused your life to go in a positive direction?